Gallery


In close proximity to St Thomas a Becket Church, the Shirenewton War Memorial and a local public house


View taken from within the heart of the Village of Shirenewton

Set in a Special Landscape Area which includes Mynyddbach, Earlswood and Newchurch West, a feature of Shirenewton Village and the surrounding community is that its buildings are mostly constructed in either natural local stone or have white rendered walls, with slate or terra-cotta roof tiles. The surrounding countryside is largely unspoilt agricultural land

Optimized-DSC_0659


The Tredegar Arms Public House

The Parish of Shirenewton has three public houses including the Tredegar Arms, the Carpenters Arms and the Huntsman Hotel

St Thomas a Becket Church, located within The Square, Shirenewton Village


St Thomas a Becket Church, located within The Square, Shirenewton Village

A Norman fortified tower church, originally built with a solid square tower placed between the chancel and the nave, by the fifth Humphrey de Bohun, called the “Good Earl” in 1220. The church was dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury who was murdered in his Cathedral in 1170. In 1853 Edward Inwood Jones, Rector of the Parish restored and extended the Church. In 1997 the six bells were re-hung with the aid of a millennium grantThe church has regular Sunday services, a thriving Sunday school and a band of bell ringers. There is an active church website dedicated to community activities including information about the Local Historical Society and the Tennis Club. It also has links to many useful websites including the local school website and the monthly Parish Magazine which has contact details for the leaders of local village societies such as Scouts, Clubs, Brownies and Cubs.

Shirenewton Recreation Hall


Shirenewton Recreation Hall

The Shirenewton Recreation Hall and sports field was built on land donated in the mid 20th Century by the Liddell Family. The hall was refurbished and extended with new changing rooms and kitchen in 2006 supported with Article 33 grant money. Shirenewton Community Council meetings are held at the Recreation Hall on the first Monday of every month except upon bank holidays where the meeting takes place on the second Monday. The meetings are open to the general public.The hall is used by a large number of clubs and organisations on a regular basis including Shirenewton Women’s Institute, Shirenewton Playgroup and Shirenewton Mothers Union. The hall can also be used for private functionsThe recreation ground is leased and maintained by the Recreation Association and is used by football and cricket clubs and for the annual village summer fete. There is a fenced all-weather tennis club and a children’s play area.

All weather tennis court and outdoor play area at the recreation ground


Shirenewton Recreation Ground Tennis Court and Outdoor Play Area

All weather tennis court and outdoor play area at the recreation ground


St Peter’s Church, Newchurch

Not a large church but one with stunning views from its churchyard. Ancient west tower and porch.The Church of St Peter in Newchurch was originally part of the possessions of the Priory of Chepstow and was passed to the Earl of Worcester, Henry Somerset at the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th Century.The oldest part of the church is the tower which dates from the 14th Century. The church belongs the Wentwood Parish Group a group of seven Anglican parishes in South Wales that work closely in the community in partnership with fellow Christians in other local churches and chapels. A Service takes place at 2.30pm on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month.

Earlswood Valley Methodist Chapel


Earlswood Valley Methodist Chapel

Earlswood Valley Chapel is the oldest Methodist Chapel in Wales. The Chapel was opened for worship in 1791 when Ann Lewis raised the funds for the Chapel to be built. Services have continued to be held ever since. Currently Sunday Service takes place at 3.00 pm  

Located in Earlswood in close proximity to Earlswood Memorial Hall


Hope Chapel, located in Earlswood in close proximity to Earlswood Memorial Hall

Hope Chapel was built between 1854 and 1860 and it is thought to have developed from an earlier meeting of Bible Christians who met at ‘Fisher’s Place’The Chapel holds regular Sunday Services

Earlswood Memorial Hall


Earlswood Memorial Hall

Earlswood Hall is a large community building, built from public donations, as a Memorial to members of the Parish lost in World War II. The hall is used for musical functions and is hired out regularly for private functions, dog shows, the Young Farmers and fund raising events. A very popular village pantomime is held in January each year. 

Located between the villages of Shirenewton and Mynyddbach


Shirenewton Primary School, located between the villages of Shirenewton and Mynyddbach

The school was opened in 1985, amalgamating the old Mynyddbach, Earlswood, Devauden and Caerwent schools. It is a very popular modern school with a wide catchment area and has an excellent reputation.

St Thomas a Becket Church, Shirenewton


St Thomas a Becket Church, Shirenewton

The Church has a solid square tower, placed between the chancel and the nave; the practice at this time being to build churches with a two-fold purpose, as places of defence as well as of worship, and this is a good example of a Norman fortified church tower.

Located on the Gaerllwyd Crossroads in close proximity to Earlswood Community Field


Gaerllwyd Baptist Chapel, located on the Gaerllwyd Crossroads in close proximity to Earlswood Community Field

The Chapel has regular Sunday services. Close to the Chapel on the crossroads at Gaerllwyd is a Neolithic burial chamber dated to around 4,000 years BC known as a cromlech. It is made up of a capstone which would have been supported by three upright stones

St Thomas a Becket Church, Shirenewton


St Thomas a Becket Church, Shirenewton

A marble tablet on the north chancel wall bears this inscription, “In affectionate remembrance of Edward Inwood Jones, M.A., for 8 years Rector of this parish, who died April 18th, 1856.” To his exertions the parishioners owe the restoration and enlargement of their church, A.D. 1853

Shirenewton War Memorial


Shirenewton War Memorial

The inscription in stone records that the tablet seen and the clock in the church tower were erected in memory of the men of the Parish who fought and fell in the Great War 1914-1918 now usually referred to as the First World War or World War 1. Below the dedication are the names of the thirteen men. A sixth bell was added to the bell tower of the church in 1918, given as a war memorial by Captain C O. Liddell of Shirenewton Hall
 

Bluebells


Bluebells

 View of an area located within Earlswood during spring time
 The Grass crop from the field is put out for tender by Shirenewton Community Council
Optimized-DSC_0683 The Carpenters Arms is situated on the main Usk road close to where the former Tuck Mill was sited. It was licenced in 1860 and had a serious fire in 1880
Optimized-DSC_0678  A view of the Huntsman Hotel looking down from Mynyddbach
Optimized-DSC_0674 In January 2009 Shirenewton and Mynyddbach Fields Association Limited (SAMFAL) purchased the land between Shirenewton and Mynyddbach by obtaining funding with grants from the National Lottery Fund, Biffaward and Shirenewton Community Council. It was purchased to protect and enhance the biodiversity and special ecological value of the land. It has also been supported by the Gwent Wildlife Trust, The Countryside Council for Wales and by Monmouthshire County Council. Plans are being generated to use the fields as an educational resource for the adjacent Primary School and a “Field Gang” of volunteers is being formed of people willing to lend a hand with manual jobs that are required on the field
Optimized-DSC_0666 The Huntsman Hotel is situated on the Usk road in close proximity to Mynyddbach. It has previously been called the Cross Hands and has been a public house for at least 165 years. Its most famous landlord was Bill Benjamin who was a prizefighter in the 1850’s
Optimized-DSC_0694 Photograph taken from the road running adjacent to Shirenewton Hall where the scientist Edward Joseph Lowe lived between 1880 and 1900
Optimized-DSC_0701 Flowers have been planted by local volunteers for the Best Kept Village Competition 2014Shirenewton is a village and community in Monmouthshire, south east Wales. It is located 3 miles due west of ChepstowShirenewton has in the past had several various names including “Sheref Newton and Nova Villa. The present name means “Sheriff’s New Tun” Tun is the old word for a homestead
Optimized-DSC_0665 The road signs positioned in the village of Shirenewton indicating the direction and distance to Ealswood, Crick and Usk from Shirenewton. The flowers have been planted by local volunteers